Wednesday 14 May 2014

What is the meaning of life? Does anyone know?

What is the meaning of life?  What am I doing with my life?  And why am I doing it?
I don't know the answer.  Does anyone?  Sometimes I feel like I know what I'm doing and why I'm here and what we are all here for.  I read lots of books - spiritual books - that pertain to having the answer.  They often seem very convincing.
Sometimes I have very strong beliefs and opinions about things but I have always maintained that it is my prerogative to be able to change my beliefs and opinions at any time without any prior notice to anyone.
I have always been a philosopher.  As a child I remember being very reflective on the meaning of life, but in a very melancholic way.  I remember thinking I should never bring children into this world, onto this planet, as it is in a very bad state.  But three children later, I exercised my right to change my mind!
In the Western world, we are encouraged to believe that if we have enough money we will be happy.  If we have a big enough house, a flashy enough car, enough time saving and exciting gadgets and a large enough pension then we will be happy.
I live in a middle income family, in a middle income area in a thriving city in the South of England, UK.  I have ticked all the boxes I set out to achieve - I have a loving supportive husband, I have 3 amazing children that inspire me, I have a beautiful house, a job I love and that pays me well, 3 pets, a comfortable reliable car, lots of extended family, including both my parents that I am close to and feel loved and supported by.............So why am I still asking - what am I doing with my life?  why am I here?  whats the meaning of it all?  what am I here to do?  Why is there a level of dis-satisfaction?
I'm not sharing all these things to show off or feel smug but to make a point that we are led to believe that if we have all these things then we have our happily ever after. We spend so much of our lives chasing these things and aiming for an end point we miss so much of the moments of enjoyment along the way. And we then don't know how to feel happy when we get there. 
In the last couple of years, I have started studying buddhism more intently - one of the main theories is that we have "dukkha", frequently translated as "suffering", more easy to understand (in my opinion) as dis-satisfactoriness.  Is this how it is for all humans?

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm........lots of food for thought. I don't know the answer either....not really . I sense a need to be more fully present, less striving to have/do/be something else than I am now....as you say, to appreciate the moments along the way.

    But that's much harder said than done and a huge part of me is frustrated, confused and wishing I was richer, had a boyfriend, knew what I could be doing to make my heart sing. I am confused, I don't have a boyfriend and I am in debt! At least it's a relief to admit that I'm human...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for your comments. From my studying around this subject for many years, I like the idea that we need to strive to be content and peaceful in the moment but still have a dream/vision that we are working towards. I certainly know that when I am following a passion I have, the rest of the frustrations dont seem so big! Especially when I feel like I am following my current "life purpose". I love the sentiment behind this Helen Keller quote - "Be happy with what you have while working for what you want"

      Delete